Intro

Sorry for the length, but I didn't have time to write a short blog.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sensationalism...


I have been trying to find a different kind of a news station. I've given up trying to find a local Denver Station that isn't either reporting so sensationalized stories that they are beginning to look like Fox or MSNBC.  There is one station left but of late it has taken to reporting those human interest stories with the world's sappiest music.  It's not that I object to human interest stories.  I object to trying to turn them into Hallmark Cards.  Report the news please.

And then it struck me what was wrong.  It's the "We Make A Difference" or "We Get Results" attitude.  One station actually includes the "we get results"  in their advertisements.   And that is the problem.  The job is to report the news.  The job is not to get results. News is not a morality control organization.  News is news.  It bothers me that news stations think they should be getting some sort of results.  No. They should be reporting the news not trying to make it.

I am tired of news organizations who report the sensational remarks of someone like birthers or conspiracy nuts without actually challenging with -- oh, I don't know -- the facts.  I know. I know.  It's more titillating to keep nutcases and lying politicians alive than to deny them air time.  We already have politically biased stations and one news network that doesn't know what it want to do.  What we need a station that reports at 5 and 10 news without results and sappy music.  Maybe PBS or someone on-line could come up with a local news report.

I have to admit, I miss the news.  The boring, old, as honest as it can be where humans are involved, news.

No comments:

Post a Comment