Intro

Sorry for the length, but I didn't have time to write a short blog.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Your "Meme-ory" Seems to Be Failing


I have to admit, I love seeing memes like this one.  It rates right up there with the Pledge of Allegiance one.  You know the one where we no longer say the Pledge.  There are times I wonder if the poster recalls the same behavior they had as an adolescent, that I recall them.  In fact, having taught teens since late 1970's, I am pretty sure that most "grown-ups" have said this at one time or another.  In other words, you  did speak to your parents disrespectfully. I heard and saw it more than few time in my career. Itis in fact a part of becoming independent - a separate person.  

Let me put it  another way:

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Guess who said this...go on guess. Okay, the pic gives it away.

Mark Twain who was born in 1835 and passed away in 1910 understood that all teens go through the "my parents are stupid" phase.

How about this one:
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Guess who said this?

Socrates. He lived from 469 B.C. to 399 B.C. It seems this meme has landed on a somewhat ancient problem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment