Intro

Sorry for the length, but I didn't have time to write a short blog.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The History Channel that Was...


Okay...so this is not really just about the History Channel.  It is about "themed" TV stations or the lack of what they used to be.  I used to watch the History Channel and Discovery and Biography.  I enjoyed looking and learning about the past, the universe and famous people.  I have to admit, I seldom watch The Learning Channel who I think wish now their call letters were  just TLC.  MTV many remark was once Music TeleVision.  They even went so far to start MTV 2 so they could play music videos and then when that became the alternate of MTV 1, they considered doing MTV 3. The fact is they don't do music much any more.

MTV has become the home of Jersey idiots show,  promiscuous and not overly bright teen mothers, and the original big brother of reality TV.  In other words MTV has become what REALITY TV wishes it was. It also has/had wondrous shows like Beavis and Butthead,  Jackass, and others,but again it is supposed to be MUSIC theme not COMEDY themed.  We have a station for that. It's called Comedy Central. One blogger I read went so far as to state that the channel that once promoted music has really ended up damaging it.

What about the History Channel and its History Channel 2?  Yes it still does have the occasional World War documentary and how the States Got Their Shapes.  But then they also have Pawn Stars, Axe Men, Ice Road Truckers, Modern Marvels, Life After People, The Nostradamus Effect,  UFO Hunters, Ancient Aliens, and a host of doomsday, aliens, and prophesy shows.  And so we have History without history.  In fact,we have a host of shows that are the opposite of history.  I once met a guy who told me that he had been to the store where Pawn Stars is shot.  It is a dump he told me. In short, he was not impressed and was surprised that anyone would be impressed by this show.

I've quit watching Biorgraphy.  I just don't get how people's near brush with death or the celebrity ghost stories give me insight into the human condition.  I've become as disappointed with this channel as I was when AMC decided it show colorized films and sell advertising.  (On a side note would someone tell me why the Independent Film Channel showing ads about itself helps pay the bills?  I miss watching movies uninterrupted there too.)

The point is, I miss channels that are actually about the theme they promoted.  I blame MTV for the glut of talentless non-reality shows the same as I blame American Idol for the glut of talent shows about judges. It bothers me that History panders to those who really think we are invaded by aliens and should spend money looking for ghosts and big foot.  Think I am wrong...Honey BooBoo apears on The Learning Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment