Intro

Sorry for the length, but I didn't have time to write a short blog.

Monday, November 12, 2012

It is the Christian thing to do...


He looks into the eyes of the man yelling about Welfare and Takers and how awful it all is.  He hears him as he announces that "they" take money for drugs or tattoos and have children only so they can get more money.  He listens as he talks about how evil that gay marriage thing is and how we need laws to stop those immoral abortions.  The man howls how it is God's will...
       Quietly he looks at him and asks "Are you your brother's keeper?"
       "What?"
        "If a man asks you for your shirt do you not offer him your coat also?"
        "What?"
        "Blessed be the ....?  He pauses.
        "Poor."
        "The blank shall inherit the Earth."
        "Meek"
        "Then tell me why a person who is poor does not deserve your welfare?  They are not all drug addicts, they get very little extra money for children and even if they do all these things you say they do, who are you to judge? I will not starve because some tax money is given to one poor person.  If it raises just one, just one, then I can give up one time eating at Chile's.   Love someone as you love yourself.  Why do you find this so wrong? If health care, welfare or a simple coat will save a person, why would you not do this?"
        "But..."
        "While Jesus did say that a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife and two shall become one, He did not say that other forms of love were wrong.  In fact He said nothing about being gay, except that even if it were a sin, 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.' Are you without sin?  Who are you to judge? If it is wrong, then God will judge, not you.  Judge not lest you be judged.  You do know who the second Judge is don't you...the One who will judge you?
     "God."
     He nods and continues, "Who are you to judge what is God's will?  You are a man.  I am a man. I may not believe that abortion is right, but who am I to say that a person who chooses this act is wrong and I am right and therefore they should live on my terms.  God gave man free will. We make the wrong decisions.  We make the right decisions, but we cannot make decisions for others.  That will be God's judgement.  It is His and not mine.  Who are you to judge?"
      He smiles at the man, "I cannot judge you and I will not judge you.  That is God's will.  To love and live and welcome all who sits at the table. Christ forgave and died to do so.  What will you do as you condemn?  I am no Bible thumper nor a scholar, nor do I go to Church regularly, but I know what I know. I believe. And even if you don't, that too is okay.  I could be wrong but so could you.  All I know is we are suppose to love one another, help one another, forgive one another, and make our own choices. All are welcome at the Lord's table. Who should we help, the righteous man or those who need the help.  I am no judge.  Are you? You see it is the right thing to do.  It is the Christian thing to do."

He smiles again and then walks away.  The man must find his own way and make his own choices.  God's will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment