Intro

Sorry for the length, but I didn't have time to write a short blog.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness Is a Great Ride


I've waited patiently and avoided all the fan boy sites trying to avoid the spoilers and did pretty well.  I should point out for any who don't know me, I am a huge Star Trek fan, especially the original series.  So you can accuse me of bias or you can possibly look at it that a true fan is going to be more critical.  Take your pick.

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness at a fan preview in Imax 3D.  Let me tell you, going to warp speed in 3D is really cool.  I am not going to give away any spoilers except one, and it has nothing to do with the movie.  As you watch the movie, look at the transporter officer.  His name is Christopher Doohan.  He is the son of James Doohan, the original Scotty. There will be no revealing of surprises or the much discussed names of villain, although it really makes little difference to the movie if you know.

Star Trek Into Darkness is awesome.  We get more character interaction and a stronger dialog than the first movie. It captures the wit and adventure of Star Trek and captures a strong theme about war mongering and the corruption of power.  It is not just one space fight or how many special effects can we jam into a single shot. The movie also has enough homage paid to the original series to make us Trekkies thrill with delight.   The trademark lens flare of the first movie is still used. Personally I like it. The only thing I wish they hadn't tampered with was the transporter effect.  I miss the glitter swirled-in-water effect. Ahh, well progress.

Benedict Cumberbatch is a perfect bad guy.  While Chris Pine is a great Kirk and Zoe Sadana a good Uhura, it is Zachary Quinto's and Keith Urban's playing of Spock and McCoy that really have captured original characters.  It is always fun to watch Simon Pegg who has impeccable comedic timing. Anton Yelchin and John Cho round out the cast and also get to have some memorable fun with their namesakes.  If the characterization continues to be worked on in the plotlines, there is no reason not to expect this cast to reach the same iconic level that other actors have in the Star Trek and science fiction realm.

Is Into Darkness potentially the greatest of the summer season? I don't know.  I haven't seen them yet.  It is, however, one of the strongest Trek movies yet made.  A friend of mine put it this way: "I may have to rethink my favorite movie order of Star Trek."

So if you're looking for something that is truly fun, action packed, and just a good time go see Star Trek Into Darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment