Intro

Sorry for the length, but I didn't have time to write a short blog.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sooner or Later, We All End Up on the Opposite Side of the Fence


A young friend of mine who is  liberal, a proud progressive in point of view, posted this the other day.  This cartoon ignited a firestorm of  comments about how there are fewer young than old and how they are now not only put upon to pay tremendous college debt but support all us old fogeys and our social security.  Now let me state for the record, unless I decide to work outside of the state system at least ten years to earn the minimum payment, I will never receive Social Security.  I am not old enough for Social Security either.  So you are not paying for me.  

My point here is not that Social Security is currently fluid.  Nor will I point out that Congress has raided the Social Security Trust and that is actually why it is not in better shape. According to CBS Money Watch, "The truth is that in prior years, Social Security taxes collected from workers added up to more than the amount of benefits paid to retirees" Nor will I point out that I have college loans for my kids and my wife to pay for. You aren't the only ones, young folks, that still have college loans.  Nor will I point out that for a middle class family the cost to raise a child from birth to age 18 in 2012 was estimated to be $235,000 to $390,000.

No my point is that the one group that really wants to alter and cut Social Security are Republican politicians.  They want the safety net gone.  They would love to find a way to make Social Security a voucher and privatized program so they can use the rest of the trust fund.  They're politicians.  Robbing Peter to pay Paul is what they do.  In case you don't get it, supporting this cartoon puts a liberal point of view squarely on the Right's side of the fence. Before you are too embarrassed, I will also point out that according to many a recent polls many older Republicans want Social Security protected putting them squarely on the Left's side of the fence because they want the social safety net.

Sooner or later we all end up on the opposite side of the fence we thought we were on.

No comments:

Post a Comment